Meet Susan

Weight and food were something that I always thought about.  Being “skinny” was everything to me.  However, in my mind that was not the body I had.  I was constantly comparing myself (and my thighs) to others.  You see, I had more of a sports body, with hips and thighs.  I, of course, wanted the slender boyish frame the models had, with their flat stomachs.  When I was younger I had digestive issues.  I would eat dinner and immediately have to go to the bathroom.  I went for all different kinds of tests and the answer at the end was “you may have IBD or a type of reflux, so why don’t we prescribe you some medicine to take everyday for the rest of your life.”   I hate pills and medicine, so the thought of taking something every day for the rest of my life was not “me”.  I tried a vegetarian diet, which did not last long.  My mother thought I was crazy and did not know how to properly cook the right foods so that I was getting the proper nutrients.  When the “no fat” craze hit, I jumped on board and again my stomach was killing me.  I was game to try any new way of eating, Paleo, South Beach, O2, F-Factor, juice cleanses, etc.

In college, I gained the “FRESHMAN 12”, in my case, and was not happy!!  I wish someone had educated me on the calories in various drinks.  I had no idea that a frozen margarita has 180 calories (all carbs) for a 4oz serving!  Considering the average margarita glass holds 12oz you’re looking at 540 calories.  That alone was not my downfall.  It was the destructive eating that I experienced after the drinks that was the biggest culprit to my gaining the weight.  I would devour pizza, chips, cookies, sub sandwiches without even a second thought.  Night after night that adds up!!!!  I had no idea how to navigate the cafeteria or what to stock up on in my dorm room or apartment.  Cooking was an afterthought.  I just wish I had known then an 1/8 of what I know now!!

 

I continued to dabble with being a vegetarian on and off throughout my 20’s and 30’s.  The “no carb” craze hit and, again, I jumped on board.  As I was closing in on turning 40, I learned quickly that my not-so-wise ways of not eating for two days to shed a couple of pounds was no longer working.  Sound familiar???  My metabolism was not what it used to be.  Finally, in my 40’s, I became a full fledged sea-atarian.  For two years I ate nothing but fruits, vegetables, carbs, legumes, nuts and fish.   However, every once in a while I would crave meat but I was not listening to my body.  Finally, last year, I went to an integrative internist and sure enough my iron levels were low.  I realize now that our bodies are so smart and we need to listen to them.  Subsequently, I became a flexitarian and now a Source-atarian. (Eating animal products that are organic, wild, and free of antibiotics and hormones when possible!!)  I really try to listen to my body and feed it what it needs.  I have to say, that I finally feel great, my digestive issues are long gone and my energy level is high!!!

So, how did this rollercoaster all end for me?  I attended the world’s leading nutrition school, The Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) and finally learned how to get off of the roller coaster for good.  I re-learned how to eat specifically what foods were right for my unique body.  I ended the cycle of “good and bad phases” and have never looked back.  IIN, based in New York City, is a one of a kind nutrition school that integrates many dietary theories and combines the knowledge of traditional philosophies like Ayurveda and Macrobiotics with modern concepts like the USDA pyramid, the glycemic index, The Zone and raw foods.

I am a certified health coach and member of AADP, the American Association of Drugless Practioners.  I hold a B.S. from Syracuse University.  Some of my many teachers include: Andrew Weil, AnneMarie Colvin, Barry Sears (The Zone) Arthur Agatston (South Beach Diet) Andrea Beaman, David Katz, Deepak Chopra, and Alexandria Jamison.

I was recently selected to become a member of the Slow Medicine Practitioner Roundtable to collaborate with other health professionals on effective planning for patient/client healing.

I believe in the 80/20 rule.  I believe if you nourish your body with clean, healthy, nutritious foods 80% of the time then the other 20% you deserve to eat what you want and enjoy it.  It’s not what you eat some of the time that makes you healthy; it is what you eat most of the time.

After working on Wall Street for over 20 years, I have finally found my passion.  I love working with people and helping those who have struggled or have never been exposed to the effects that eating clean can have on their bodies and their minds.  I love helping people be the healthiest that they can be.  I love helping children, men, woman, mothers and athletes reach their ultimate PEAK!!